Search ongoing for man swept into the ocean while fishing with friends in George
An extensive air, sea and shoreline search is continuing for a 35-year-old man from Thembalethu, George, who went missing after being swept off coastal rocks by waves earlier this week.
NSRI Wilderness station commander Jonathan Britton said the NSRI duty crew was activated at 4.13pm on December 15, after reports emerged that the man had been swept into the sea while believed to be gathering fishing bait with friends along the coastline near Thembalethu.
Multiple emergency services responded to the scene, including NSRI Wilderness rescue swimmers and shore crew, the South African Police Service, Western Cape Government Health EMS rescue squad, George Fire and Rescue Services, and SAPS Water Policing and Diving Services (WPDS).
NSRI rescue craft Oscars Rescuer was launched on the Gwaing River, while V’s Rescuer was launched at Herolds Bay. A George Fire and Rescue Services rescue craft also joined the operation, conducting extensive offshore and coastal search efforts. The EMS/AMS Skymed rescue helicopter was activated by EMS Metro Control to assist in the aerial search.
Despite an extensive search by air, sea and along the shoreline, no sign of the man was found. He remains missing.
Police divers from WPDS are continuing with ongoing search operations.
“The NSRI’s thoughts and care are with the family and friends of the missing man during this difficult time,” Britton said.
IOL
