Residents urged to stay safe as heavy rains threaten flooding in KwaZulu-Natal
Residents urged to stay safe as heavy rains threaten flooding in KwaZulu-Natal



KwaZulu-Natal Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) MEC Thulasizwe Buthelezi has urged residents in the north of the province to exercise extreme caution as persistent rainfall raises the risk of localised flooding.

The warning comes after the South African Weather Service issued a Level 2 alert for disruptive rainfall expected on Saturday, 17 January, with heavy downpours likely to continue into Sunday.

According to the department, the provincial disaster management centre is closely monitoring conditions in the Zululand District and Umkhanyakude District, where rising water levels have already begun to affect several communities.

Parts of Umhlabuyalingana, Nongoma and sections of Jozini are under pressure, with low-lying roads and bridges becoming increasingly difficult to navigate. Buthelezi warned residents not to attempt to cross flooded roads or overflowing bridges, saying such actions place lives at serious risk.

While KwaZulu-Natal has so far avoided the worst of the severe weather affecting other parts of the country, the MEC conveyed condolences to families in neighbouring provinces who have lost loved ones due to recent floods.

The KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Disaster Management Centre remains on high alert and has activated response and mitigation measures alongside other government departments and emergency services. These measures are aimed at protecting lives, supporting vulnerable communities and ensuring a rapid response should conditions worsen.

Buthelezi cautioned that weather conditions are expected to deteriorate further in the coming week. He urged residents living in floodplains and low-lying areas to consider moving to higher ground as a precaution.

“As government, we remain committed to ensuring that our province navigates these difficult weather conditions with minimal disruption and loss,” he said, calling on residents to heed safety warnings, avoid large bodies of water and follow guidance from local authorities.

He also appealed to parents, guardians and educators to ensure that learners use safe and accessible routes when travelling to and from school during the period of unstable weather.

The department said it will continue to provide updates as the situation develops.

IOL previously reported that Thursday was a wet and disruptive day for large parts of the country, with widespread rainfall, severe thunderstorms and a risk of flooding in several provinces.

The South African Weather Service has issued multiple impact-based warnings as a slow-moving system brings heavy downpours to the eastern and northeastern regions.

Limpopo is of greatest concern, where widespread and disruptive rain is expected, particularly in the eastern parts.

Rainfall here is likely to be intense and persistent, increasing the risk of flooding in low-lying areas, damage to infrastructure and possible closure of major roads and bridges. Rain chances in this region are high, ranging between 80 and 100%.

 

jonisayi.maromo@iol.co.za

IOL News  

Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.

 



Source link

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.