LIVE | Parliament moves to set probe into Mkhwanazi’s explosive SAPS claims in motion
The ad hoc committee established to investigate the explosive allegations made public by KwaZulu-Natal police commissioner, Lt-Gen Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, will meet again on Monday to further engage on its Terms of Reference.
The committee, earlier this month, elected Molapi Soviet Lekganyane as its chairperson.
During a media briefing in July, dressed in his Special Task Force camouflage uniform, Mkhwanazi implicated police minister Senzo Mchunu, his close associate Brown Mogotsi and Deputy National Commissioner for Crime Detection, Lt-Gen Shadrack Sibiya, as key and central tenets to the alleged interference in police operations, including the disbanding of a task team investigating political killings.
President Cyril Ramaphosa then placed Mchunu on leave of absence and appointed Professor Firoz Cachalia as the acting Minister of Police.
During his address to the country, Ramaphosa said Mkhwanazi’s allegation raised serious concerns around the Constitution, the rule of law, and national security.
“These allegations, if proven true, threaten to undermine the confidence of South Africans in the ability of the South African Police Service to protect them and to fight crime and corruption effectively,” Ramaphosa said.
seanne.rall@iol.co.za
IOL