Russian Embassy responds to human trafficking allegations against Alabuga Start programme
The Russian Embassy has hit back at allegations that its Alabuga Start programme is recruiting young women for human trafficking syndicates.
In a post on its Facebook page, the Russian Embassy in South Africa, said it has taken note of the growing concerns around the programme.
“Many of the commentators were quick to accuse Russia of human trafficking and exploitation based on unfounded allegations,” the Embassy said.
“It needs to be stressed that the Embassy has no information, apart from that spread through some biased outlets, of foreign nationals being subjected to forced labour, tricked into some actions, or otherwise experiencing violation of their rights in the course of the programme,” the Embassy added.
Concerns were raised after several South African social media influencers, including Cyan Boujee, Peachy Sprinkles, Ghost Hlubi and Zillewizzy, shared promotional videos about the programme.
According to reports, in October last year, the programme targeted women from Central and East African countries to work in a Russian factory.
Clayson Monyela, Head of Public Diplomacy at the Department of International Relations, issued a warning, urging young people to be cautious.
A petition was also started by Change.org accusing social media influencers of “irresponsibly promoting travel schemes”.
Please warn young people (girls in particular) not to fall for unverified foreign job offers….Some are being promoted by influencers on Tik Tok, Instagram & other SM platforms. Human trafficking syndicates are luring people into all sorts of illegal activities under slave-life…
— Clayson Monyela (@ClaysonMonyela) August 24, 2025
Meanwhile Cyan Boujee, real name Honor Zuma, has taken to social media to break her silence on the matter.
She said she was aware of the seriousness of the situation and is awaiting a response from the organisation before she releases another statement with more details.
seanne.rall@iol.co.za
IOL