Black Sash warns of potential pitfalls in Sassa's biometric identification system
Human rights organisation, Black Sash, has expressed serious concerns about the capacity of the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) to roll out compulsory biometric identification for new beneficiaries from September.
Black Sash spokesperson Oliver Meth said on Friday that they have noted the announcement made by Sassa.
“While we recognise the need to strengthen systems and curb fraud in the social grant payment environment, any intervention must be designed and implemented in a way that does not further disadvantage or exclude the very people the grants are intended to support,” Meth said.
He also noted Sassa’s ongoing administrative and operational challenges that range from persistent long queues, delayed payments, a flawed review process, and the recent failures in managing Postbank card swaps.
“We have serious concerns about its capacity to roll out biometrics smoothly and efficiently at this stage. Readiness must be measured not only by the technology itself but also by staffing, infrastructure, training, and public awareness,” Meth said.
Sassa earlier this week said the initiative was aimed at reducing fraud by strengthening beneficiary verification and authentication.
Parliamentarians heard during a briefing that the biometric system has been piloted since the start of the 2025/26 financial year after challenges with unions were addressed.
It was piloted in all Sassa offices on a small scale, just to see how the biometric system will impact on other services.
According to Sassa CEO, Themba Matlou, grant applications captured and approved from September 1 onwards will include biometric fingerprint enrolment or facial recognition through electronic Know Your Client.
“Applications without biometric data will be immediately put into the review cycle, notifying the client of the need to capture biometrics as per the review processes,” Matlou said.
He also said the beneficiary biometric enrolment came at an opportune time when Sassa was ramping up its efforts to improve its systems, detect, and effectively root out any fraudulent elements in the social grant administration.
Meth said the introduction of biometrics could help address certain fraud risks; however, Black Sash cautioned against an approach that might create additional barriers for applicants.
“Beneficiaries already face long queues, understaffed Sassa offices, and recurring payment disruptions. Adding a compulsory biometric layer could exacerbate access difficulties, especially in rural areas where infrastructure is weak,” he said.
Meth stated that they were not formally consulted on the matter.
“We believe that meaningful consultation with civil society organisations, including those representing beneficiaries, is essential to ensure that new systems are rights-based, accessible, and responsive to the lived realities of grant recipients.”
During this week’s briefing of MPs, issues about the resourcing of officials to complete in-person applications and the question of long queues were raised.
Acting Sassa CEO Brenton van Vrede assured MPs that they will use the savings from the terminated Master Service Agreement with Postbank towards the modernisation and digitisation programme at Sassa.
“Every local office will have all of what we call the tools for modernisation,” he said.
CFO Tsakeriwa Chauke said they have asked the National Treasury to approve the use of those funds to hire contract workers to fast-track the programme.
Meth said Black Sash foresees exclusion of beneficiaries due to system errors or technological failures, infrastructure gaps, especially in rural areas with limited internet or electricity access, accessibility concerns for the elderly, people living with disabilities, and those who struggle with literacy or mobility, and the risk of long queues worsening if the process is not streamlined.
“Black Sash calls for transparency, proper piloting and evaluation, and genuine engagement with civil society before compulsory biometrics is enforced. Any system to curb fraud must not come at the expense of beneficiaries’ dignity and their constitutional right to social security,” he said.
mayibongwe.maqhina@inl.co.za