Limited funds won’t deter campaigns for 2026 LGE: Mapaila – SABC News
The South African Communist Party (SACP) says limited funds will not deter it from contesting the 2026 local government elections.
The party’s General Secretary, Solly Mapaila, says they would rely on grassroots support to ensure the success of their campaign.
Mapaila spoke with the media on the sidelines of the party’s three-day Central Committee plenary in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
“We don’t have money, and everybody knows that. But we’ll contest elections without money. We’ll prove it. That’s our poster. There’s no capital that’s going to fund us. But the people of South Africa, the working class, will respond to this challenge. And I think we’ll have to have a community-based election campaign without money,” Mapaila says.
Friday 29 August 2025, Johannesburg
Today marks the first day of the SACP Central Committee’s three-day plenary.
The SACP Central Committee plenary is held at COSATU House in Braamfontein, Johannesburg. It will conclude on Sunday 31 August with a press briefing at 14h00. pic.twitter.com/iDI6nw93kf
— SACP (@SACP1921) August 29, 2025
Mapaila says the party’s relationship with the African National Congress (ANC) is “not ideal.” The meeting will review alliance relations, election strategy, and other national priorities. Mapaila has accused the ANC of being arrogant in talks about alliance reconfiguration.
“We are in alliance with the ANC. The alliance is based on key principles, and if those principles are being violated, we have the right to pursue those principles independently,” Mapaila elaborated.
VIDEO |SACP 104: Everyone is fighting to be in power: Solly Mapaila
Mapaila has affirmed the party’s support for the National Dialogue, emphasising the importance of including legacy foundations in the process.
Earlier this month, several civil society organisations, including the Thabo Mbeki Foundation, withdrew from the National Dialogue’s national convention, citing concerns over a shift away from a citizen-led approach.
Mapaila has called for these foundations to re-enter the conversation to ensure a comprehensive and inclusive dialogue.
“We support the national dialogue, and we hope that even the foundations we’ve actually debated in our politburo will be placing it here in the central committee. But we need to engage with some of the foundations, including the Thabo Mbeki Foundation, because it’s very, very important as a person who initiated this process that they don’t get dislodged from this process, and we must find a way in which they can find a way to reparticipate in the process.”
VIDEO | SACP not contesting the elections against the ANC: Mbulelo Mandlana