Expensive chats? National Treasury confirms National Dialogue cost cut from R740 million to R441 million
The National Treasury has confirmed that the cost of the National Dialogue has been reduced from R740 million to an estimated R441 million, excluding unexpected expenses.
However, one political analyst says it remains too costly for what others have called a “talk shop”.
In response to questions from IOL News, the Treasury said: “The current estimated cost of the dialogue is R441 million, excluding contingencies.”
It also noted that around half of the amount is expected to be raised through sponsorships and donations.
“About half of this is expected to be raised through sponsorships and donations,” Treasury said.
It added that the budget is under continuous review to minimise costs.
“These costs are being revised on a continuous basis to minimise the cost of various dialogues expected to be held at a municipal, district and provincial level.”
This follows comments made last week by Build One South Africa (BOSA) leader Dr Mmusi Maimane, who said at a media briefing in Rosebank that Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana had confirmed to him in writing that the cost had been revised down from over R740 million to R485 million.
However, the Treasury now says the figure is R441 million, excluding contingencies, and did not comment on whether Godongwana had sent a letter to Maimane.
The National Convention of the National Dialogue, held at the University of South Africa (Unisa) in Pretoria from Friday, August 15 to Saturday, August 16, has faced widespread criticism as a mere “talk shop” by political parties, organisations and lobby groups.
The event has also been marred by controversy, with several prominent figures and organisations, including former president Thabo Mbeki, legacy foundations, civil society groups and Government of National Unity (GNU) members – withdrawing from the process.
Legacy foundations such as the Thabo Mbeki Foundation and the Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation voiced concern over the rushed implementation, lack of transparency around the initial R740 million budget, and a perceived shift toward government control.
Speaking to IOL News, political analyst Solly Rashilo said the revised budget of R441 million, although lower than the original, remains excessive for what he described as a “pointless talk shop”.
“Even with half potentially covered by sponsorships, leaving taxpayers with a R220 million bill, it’s unjustifiable when hospitals and schools are struggling,” Rashilo said.
“Voters already set the mandate via elections – manifestos spelled out the priorities,” he added.
“Critics calling it a ‘talk shop’ are right. We need action, not more chatter. Every rand must deliver results, or it’s just burning money while people suffer.”
Rashilo said public outcry led to the budget cut.
“The R740 million figure sparked rage from unions, opposition parties and even GNU allies, with some legacy groups pulling out,” he said.
“By August, President Ramaphosa had to promise a cheaper plan. The drop to R441 million shows citizen pressure works, but it’s still not enough – scrap the whole thing and focus on what voters already demanded.”
He criticised the National Dialogue as political posturing.
“The GNU should act on manifestos, not fund expensive chats,” he said.
“If it must happen, make it virtual and under R50 million. Keep pushing for transparency and redirect funds to real needs like healthcare or education.”
President Cyril Ramaphosa previously denied claims that the process would cost taxpayers R740 million, insisting it would be conducted at minimal cost using community halls, schools and churches as venues.
“That R740 million figure is not accurate,” he said. “We can do this much more cheaply. Lower costs must be the order of the day.”
Ramaphosa also defended the convention and criticised those who chose to boycott it.
“True dialogue means bringing people together, getting people to speak together – not just to speak to each other,” he said during the event.
“We need to be inside the tent, not outside it. And we need one tent – not multiple tents having parallel conversations.”
He said the National Dialogue is “a call to action, not a platform for spectators”.
The GNU members, including the Democratic Alliance (DA) and Freedom Front Plus (FF Plus) withdrew from the dialogue, accusing the African National Congress (ANC) of using the platform to boost its image ahead of the 2026 local government elections.
However, the ANC dismissed the claims.
Opposition parties, including the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party, have labelled the process an “expensive sideshow” intended to bypass Parliament and centralise power in the Presidency.
Controversial lobby groups AfriForum and Solidarity have also withdrawn from the dialogue.
simon.majadibodu@iol.co.za
IOL Politics