Murderers of 14-year-old Cashwin Diteho receive harsh sentences
Two murderers who had killed a teenage boy for allegedly stealing dagga will serve lengthy terms behind bars for the heinous crime in which they doused the boy in paraffin before setting him alight with a rope around his neck.
Elvis Bongani Sikepe, 41, and Thomas Christopher Lebitsa, 21, were sentenced by the Gariep Local Circuit Court sitting in Upington in the Northern Cape, for the brutal murder of 14-year-old Cashwin Theo Diteho.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Mojalefa Senokoatsane, said they welcomed the conviction and sentencing of Sikepe and Lebitsa. A third co-accused, 21-year-old Isaac Vywers, was acquitted of the charges he faced after the court found he had been coerced and victimised by Sikepe.
Sikepe was convicted of kidnapping and murder with dolus eventualis and sentenced to an effective 25 years of direct imprisonment, while Lebitsa was convicted of murder with dolus eventualis and sentenced to 10 years behind bars.
Senokoatsane said: “On 1 August 2023, Sikepe discovered that 100 litres of dagga he had been selling had gone missing. Consumed by anger, he enlisted Lebitsa’s help to search for the culprits. Their hunt led them to the home of 14-year-old Diteho, who was asleep when the accused forcibly removed him despite his mother’s desperate pleas. The boy was forced into a vehicle by the three accused. Along the way, Sikepe instructed Lebitsa to buy paraffin.
“The group then drove to the outskirts of Upington, where Sikepe interrogated the child, tied a rope around his neck, and eventually doused him with paraffin. In a shocking display of cruelty, Sikepe forced Vywers under threat of being burnt himself to set the victim alight.”
The teenager was engulfed in flames and sustained 80% burn wounds. Instead of taking responsibility, Sikepe falsely claimed to hospital staff that the boy had attempted suicide. A day after being taken to the hospital and despite medical intervention, the teenager succumbed to his injuries on August 2, 2023.
Forensic evidence revealed marks of strangulation and torture. The three accused were arrested the same day. Sikepe was denied bail and remained in custody throughout the trial.
Senokoatsane said State prosecutor advocate Jaques Rosenberg led compelling evidence of the premeditated nature of the crime, including Sikepe’s deliberate search for paraffin. The prosecution also highlighted the abuse of power by Sikepe, an older man and firefighter, over his younger co-accused.
The court also heard Victim Impact Statements, which detailed the devastating toll on the victim’s family.
“His grandmother was forced to resign from work due to trauma, while his mother continues to live with unbearable guilt and grief. Letters from the boy’s schoolmates were also read into the record, reflecting the broader community’s pain,” said Senokoatsane.
In mitigation, the defence argued that Sikepe was a father of three and breadwinner, while Lebitsa was only 19 at the time of the crime, with no prior convictions.
However, the State argued successfully that the crime was heinous, cruel, and premeditated. The court found that Sikepe was the instigator and leader, abusing his authority to manipulate his younger accused.
The NPA in the Northern Cape condemned the “barbaric crime” in the strongest terms. “The sentences send a clear message that violent crimes, especially those against children, will be met with the harshest consequences.
“Human life is invaluable. Crimes of this nature will be pursued with vigour to ensure justice for victims and to serve as a deterrent to would-be offenders.”
chevon.booysen@inl.co.za